Port-Glazed Walnuts With Stilton
A decadent, luxurious recipe full of rich flavor, this is a great appetizer for special occasions, or when you’re looking to impress.
- 2 1/2 cups walnut halves (9oz)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- One 1-pound wedge of Stilton cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Do not turn off your oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, port, pepper, and bay leaf, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Discard bay leaf, and add walnuts to the glazing mixture, stirring evenly to coat them. Using a slotted spoon, drain the nuts reserving the glazing mixture.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread walnuts in a single layer, and bake at 350F until nuts are mostly dry, about 12 minutes. Halfway through the baking time, stir walnuts to ensure they are evenly heated.
- Meanwhile, simmer the syrup over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. When nuts are finished baking, set the Stilton on the serving platter, and set the walnuts in a separate bowl. Drizzle syrup on Stilton, and serve immediately.