Smoky and tangy, this is a complicated hors d’oeuvre for the gourmands in your life.
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb hot-smoked salmon, flaked
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
- Toss onion and vinegar in a small bowl, and let stand for at least 1 hour to pickle. Note: this can be done one day in advance; cover and chill.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry capers in oil until opened and crisp, about 30 seconds. Let drain on paper towels.
- Spread Croccantini with creme fraiche, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with smoked salmon, pickled red onion (drained), friend capers, and chives. If desired, drizzle with oil. Serve immediately.
Original recipe found at